Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Lemon-Lavender Shortbread Cookies


A few years ago when I went to Las Vegas with my husband we went to a bakery where they had this delicious cookies (do not remember the name of the bakery).  These cookies were amazing.  I was kinda hesitant to try a cookie that taste like flowers, since lavender has a very powerful scent.  Well I have to say that I don't regret tasting it, because like my daughter would say "it was like heaven in my mouth" The taste of lemon and lavender were just a great combination.  A couple of weeks I order a pound of French Culinary Lavender and I have to tell you when I received the package which was completely sealed in a bag, you could still smell it, I knew right away what it was.  I took the lavender and put it in a container and still, my whole kitchen smells like the lavender... I love it!
These cookies are just amazing , I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did.



Lemon-Lavender Shortbread Cookies
Cookie Recipe:
1 cup butter, unsalted at room temperature
1/2 cup powder sugar
1/2 cup corn starch
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/8 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp of dried culinary lavender
1 Tbsp freshly grated lemon zest
1 Tbsp lemon juice (can also substitute with lemon extract)

Directions:
1.  Cream together butter and sugar until smooth.

2.  Sift together flour, cornstarch and salt and add it to the butter mixture.  Mix until the flour coats the butter but isn't completely worked in.
3.  Add the lemon zest, lemon juice and the lavender.

4.  Using your hands lightly rub the ingredients together forming a ball.  Do not over work mixture.

5.  Flatten the dough out into a disc and cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.

6.  Preheat oven at 325° F
7.  Once chilled, roll out the dough on a lightly flour covered surface so that its 1/4 inch.

8.  Cut dough into shapes
9.  Place cookies on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper

10.  Bake for 15 minutes



Icing Recipe:
1 cup powder sugar
3 tsp dried culinary lavender
2 tsp freshly grated lemon zest (preferably Meyer lemon)
2 Tbsp lemon juice

Directions:
1.  Mix sugar, lavender, lemon zest together
2.  Add lemon juice little by little until you get the consistency that you want





Enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lu, thanks for visiting my blog and for your comment. I can see that you have also been busy baking Valentine treats !!!

    I love these cookies. Lemon and lavender combine fantastically well.

    Congratulations !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Carmen I still have lots to learn to be an expert like you, I love your blog, is just incredible.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...