Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Chicken Soup(Colombian Style)/Sopita de Pollo


One of my favorite foods have to be Colombian, I lived with Colombian relatives for about 7 years and I have to say that the experience I had living with them was absolutely amazing.  The culture and traditions are wonderful and the food gives you that feeling of warmth when you eat it.  "Yuyi" showed me how to cook many things from arepas, empanadas, tamales and many more dishes.  She is from Cali, Colombia and her background is of African-Colombian, her food had this amazing taste that it was not enough with one serving.  Something that she would cook a lot was Sancocho de Gallina and Sopa de Pollo, she would add green plantains, and corn, it would taste just delicious.  She would always make different kinds of soups everyday.  She told me that Colombia was big in soups and soup is always served before the main dish which consists of rice and whatever stew or meat is served with.  She continues that tradition here in the Unites States with her children and grandchildren.  I could never loose weight while living with her because she would always feed us.  In the morning coffee with pan de bono  or bunuelos, by 1:00 pm our so called "dinner"  was ready and by 6:00pm coffee with pan de mantequilla or pan dulce con arequipe.  Like I said we were always eating.
I hope you guys enjoy my version since I left out the green plantains (could not find them around here)  and the corn.
Enjoy!!

Chicken Soup/Sopa de Pollo


Recipe:
1 whole chicken cut into pieces (I used drumsticks)
10 cups of water
1 1/2 cups of butter squash, diced
1 cup of carrots, chopped
1 medium yuca (cassava), peeled and chopped (can use the frozen kind also)
5 potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 tomato, diced small
1/4 cup green onions, chopped finely
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 chicken bouillon cubes
1tsp ground cumin
1 clove of garlic, crushed
2 tsp salt (add more if needed)
1 tbsp adobo Goya

Directions:
1.  In a large pot, place chicken, butter squash, carrots, chicken bouillon and salt.  If adding corn and plantain this is the time to do so.  Add the water and boil for about 30 min.
2.  Add the yuca, potatoes, tomato, green onions, garlic, adobo and cumin and let it boil until the yuca is cooked completely (If you used frozen yuca, since that's pre-cooked yuca just boil until potatoes are well done). 




instead of me chopping the tomatoes, this is what I do, because my baby Mei-Li does not like cooked tomatoes. so she cannot tell.


3. When yuca is done stop cooking and let it sit for about 5 min. and then add the cilantro to the pot of soup. 


We usually eat this with a side of white rice, avocado and a spoonful or more of Colombian aji.
I hope you guys enjoy it!




















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...